Saturday, March 3, 2007

Famous People with Tinnitus-Part 6


Jimmy Savile - "It doesn't bother me in the slightest," he told Michael Church. "It reminds me of all the girls I've known, and all the discos. I'm very happily ensconced with this friend inside my head." Source from: news.independent.co.uk

Michael Church - "I acquired my own tinnitus in the stupidest possible way: on the rifle range at Catterick army camp, while training as an officer cadet. St Albans School in the late Fifties was a grotesquely spartan place, where ear-defenders were unheard of (my fellow victim Stephen Hawking improvised earplugs from blotting paper, and the doctor had to dig them out). After a noisy afternoon with a Bren firing 12 inches from my left ear, I returned home deafened, and though my hearing eventually returned (minus the high frequencies), I was left with a loud hiss. (Yes, I should have sued both the school and the MoD, but 16-year-olds don't have time for such niceties.)" Source from: news.independent.co.uk

Francis Rossi - lead singer and guitarist for the band Status Quo.

Mick Ronson - David Bowie's guitarist, had tinnitus in the ear that was closest to his speaker column.

Hansi Kursch - lead singer and bass player for the band Blind Guardian. Kursch actually lost all hearing on one side, and then suffered tinnitus in the same ear. source from DynamiteMetal.com

Jarmo Miettinen - Rhythm guitar & vocals for the band Status Quiz

Todd Rundgren - Musician

Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails

James Destri - keyboardist who wrote "Fan Mail" by Blondie on the album Plastic Letters

Roger Miller - "Mission of Burma...Its career cut short by guitarist Roger Miller’s mounting tinnitus... Miller’s never shaken his condition, but now wears firingrange headphones so that Burma’s full sonic experience--high decibel levels are a key component in the band’s music--can be unleashed upon the crowd." Source from: http://www.fortunecity.com/banners/interstitial.html?http://www.avguide.com/film_music/music/musicreviews/tas148/148_pop_caps.jsp

Richard Pleasance - guitarist for Boom Crash Opera, took time off in 1990 from touring with this band due to tinnitus. Source from: http://www.fortunecity.com/banners/interstitial.html?http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/pleasance_richard/bio.jhtml

Danny Elfman - Oingo Boingo, film scores/composer. Touring took a major toll on his hearing and he still suffers from tinnitus. "The last five or six years I was in the band, my instincts were telling me I was doing myself a lot of harm - and I was right. I really should have gotten out sooner than I did, and I'm incredibly regretful that I didn't because I'm paying the price for it now." Source from: OCRegister

Steve Lukather - guitarist/song writer for Toto, developed tinnitus sometime in the 1980's. "Yes I have tinnitus, what a drag. I wear earplugs now 'cause of it. I found that it was all the years wearing headphones that did me in more than live playing. I used to have the real expensive plugs, but I found some 2 dollar ones that work just as good and you don't feel bad losing them, hahaha. My hearing is damaged though. I always have to say "WHAT???", hahaha. Be careful guys, this could happen to you!"

No comments: